Monday 15 April 2013

The Overview Effect

So I'd found a new website called Listverse. Okay, it's probably not a new site per se, but it was new to me! And joy of joys, it's completely categorised everything into list form! How awesome is that!?
 
Some of the lists are a tad inane - Top 10 Pregnant Celebrities - I mean, everyone knows Kim Kardashian is big enough to fill the entire top 10. And before you think I meant physically, I mean EGO people! She has the biggest unjustifiably enormous ego for reasons I still cannot fathom.

Almost as big as her pregnant Orca girth!! Aaaaaah hahahaha..
 
 
Meow!! Hiss!
(Or should that have been a whale song?)
 
So anyways.. some of the lists are a little cerebral hors d'vours, feeding the mind with something a little delicious and tantalising amongst the candy-filled junk!
 
Lists like:
  • 10 Insane Cases of Genetic Engineering (glow in the dark cats anybody?)
  • Tips for Surviving a Bear Encounter (not a huge necessity in Melbourne CBD.. but I digress)
  • 10 Reasons the War on Drugs is Killing You (not sure, yet to see the list, but I am intruigued!)
  • 10 Sensory Marketing Tricks Companies Use on You (grr companies! you clever bastards!)
Then 10 More Fascinating Scientific and Psychological Effects. Amongst the Allee Effect; the Bruce Effect and the Leidenfrost Effect, there was the Overview Effect. I don't know why, somehow I just found it the most fascinating and inspiring effect of all!

The website stated that the Overview Effect has to be the least common psychological effect as only 534 people have ever experienced the conditions that lead to it. Discouraging huh!

 
The Overview Effect happens when astronauts in orbit or on the surface of the moon first see the Earth in its entirety. Amazing!! 

Many report feeling a deep sense of scale and perspective and this is what is called the Overview Effect. The effect can be deeply moving, confusing, inspiring, and emotionally challenging, as a view of the entire Earth changes one’s perspective in a profound way. Astronauts have returned home with a renewed sense of the way we’re all connected, of the relative meaninglessness of cultural boundaries, and a desire to take care of the Earth’s environment.



Strangely, these are the same feelings related by people who experience Near Death Experiences. I guess the sense of something bigger, the feeling of our own insignificance, does something to the way we see ourselves or our world, in time and space. It creates a new perspective on life; it seems to lead to a renewed lifestyle; a different approach to life and a reprioritisation as to what is important.

Which is why I hope that I get to experience the Overview Effect before I die. And I think it would only be a good thing for all our world leaders, at the very least, have the opportunity to get out there and experience the same thing.



Can you imagine how different our world would be if our leaders actually cared about our sweet fragile earth!? I'm going to write Richard Branson right now. He's just avant garde enough to understand what I'm on about. He's also funding a space ship.

What do you think? Too crazy? Check it out for yourself:
http://listverse.com/2013/04/14/10-more-fascinating-scientific-and-psychological-effects/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment